Tuesday 24 February 2015

So I walk into The Beadery on Queen Street West and...

So I walk into The Beadery on Queen Street West and am immediately impressed with the feel of the place. With so much stock, I expected to feel hemmed in, but it's a longer venue than I expected, and even though I was the only one in the store, I could imagine it still being a negotiable space during prime time shopping hours. The interior is wonderfully laid out with colourful beads of various sizes and materials hanging on the walls and jewellers cabinets nicely spaced atop wooden floors. Bowls of beads practically beg your hands to hunt and peck.

Because of my sensitive ears, I was in need of some shepherd"s hooks to add to mixed metal earrings that I only wear once in a while. In the back half of the store was Claude (as I came to know) working on a piece of jewellery. When I told him what I was looking for he brought out his "high quality silver" wire and demonstrated how to make a hook. It seemed a simple task in his hands, but I don't have the patience to do it myself, so he made three pairs for me in no time flat. It was fascinating to watch him work. After I had paid for my purchase, and perused the handmade rings and other wares on display, I asked for a card and told Claude that I would recommend his place to friends plus do a social media shout out. To thank me, Claude, decided to make me a pair of earrings. "What's your favourite stone?" he asks. Caught off-guard by the unexpected offer, I asked him to select something for me. He chose pale watery pink beads, and within five minutes fashioned me a pair of dangling earrings in silver. Again, watching him work, I could immediately see that this was a man whose hands were imbued with years of experience and talent. (Little did Claude know that he was making a birthday gift for me!)

I've recommended The Beadery to my friends and have done the promised social media posts, but, as creative design is something I appreciate, I thought I would go beyond that and share my feelings with this blog post, especially since I will be going back soon. I've been thinking about a particular stone that would be the perfect way to update an old ring I haven't worn for years.

The Beadery offers private classes, repairs, custom designs, and gems from around the world. Walk in and have your own chat with Claude. I can't promise that he will make something for you, but you will definitely enjoy the service and the products on offer.

photo credit: http://thebeadery.ca
The Beadery
446 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 2A8
416-703-4668

Claude Abbitan
http://claudeabittan.com/

No comments:

1.         Photo courtesy of www.tiff.net A BUMP ALONG THE WAY (DISCOVERY) Synopsi s: With her charismatic smile and formida...