Sunday 28 March 2010

Toronto Comic Con: The Comic Book Guys

Went to Toronto Comic Con on Saturday and, as expected, it was a lot busier than my leisurely afternoon on Friday. Had to get this picture in with Gil Gerard and, yes, I donated my $5.00 to Erin Gray's charity (a women's shelter) like everyone else who got a photo with Gil. I also stopped by to say hello to Luna (BarBara Luna) and take a photo for her with a fan who had forgotten to bring his camera. Turned out they both had Hungarian roots (Luna's father is Portuguese/Spanish/Filipino).

This time round, I focused on the comic book guys and had some great conversations. I had no idea that Toronto had so many comic book writers/illustrators, and they were well-represented at the con. Not all of them do the work full time (a lot have day jobs), but I admire their dedication to their art. I’m also grateful to them for coming to the convention and displaying their various styles, techniques and visions with peers, fans and gaping guppies like me.



Sean Wyatt (Sewer Rat series), "Mullet" from Miller & Mullet comic books, Adam Gorham illustrator for The Vampire Conspiracy (now a film).




Scott (aka "The Comic Book Guy") who owned this stall didn't want to be on camera, but I learned a lot from him about comic (genres, ratings, pricing etc)and loved looking through his booth and listening to the conversations around me; Ken Lashley did some great sketches for fans, and I picked up a copy of Black Panther; Mike Parsons (Hey Apathy!) and I had good chat about his artwork and I marveled at the fact that he hasn't gone blind!



What can I say, meet BLACK BASTARD. His comics are for a mature audience with a non-PC sense of humour.




Wrestlers Consequence Creed and Jungle Fever. I won't tell you where Consequence keeps his cell phone!



I walked by while Darth Vader was getting his helmet shined (sounds rude but it was all in fun). I asked them to pose for the picture because it's not something you see every day. On Friday he had his breathing apparatus in, but it was the end of the day today so he was just chillin'; took the pic of Ernie Hudson to prove I did see him, but he was very busy talking to fans and signing autographs. Taking free pics when exhibitors are working is a breach of ettiquette--an unwritten rule.

Toronto Comic Con wraps up today at 5:00pm

LOCATION
Direct Energy Centre
Exhibition Place
100 Princes’ Blvd

No comments:

1.         Photo courtesy of www.tiff.net A BUMP ALONG THE WAY (DISCOVERY) Synopsi s: With her charismatic smile and formida...